lucky bamboo, herbs, flowers and life
Saturday, April 15, 2006,8:35 PM
How to choose Plants for summers: part 4 - Calla Lilies
Welcome to part 4 of How to choose Plant for summers series.

Calla lilies (Genus Zantedeschia, Arum lilies or Easter lily) are large tropical trumpet shaped flowers with graceful light green stems. They come in pinks, yellows, whites and greens.
Calla lilies or 'magnificent beauty’ makes beautiful cut flowers and can last for several days.

It was one of my closest friends who introduced me to this lovely flower. She gifted me with a painting of calla lilies. Then few months later I came across some bulbs displayed for sell at my local nursery. There I saw a poster of Calla lily and immediately I bought 3 bulbs for 20 cents per piece (now THAT’S dirt cheap).

While picking healthy bulbs I did the normal checks as I did while buying other bulbs.

Planting

  • Callas requires lot of water but it doesn't like wet feet. I planted my bulbs in a 12 inch clay pot and filled with some good quality soil.
  • While choosing the location keep in mind that calla likes 4-5 hours of direct sunlight.
  • For me it’s easy. Just move the pots to a suitable place.
  • Make sure you keep the soil damp. Choose Peat moss, compost or decomposed manure as per availability.
  • Remember to plant the bulbs with visible eyes on the top.
  • Cover with 3-4 inches of soil.
  • Water Calla bulbs, soaking the soil.

Care

  • Keep the soil damp all the time.
  • Provide at least 4-5 hours of sunlight daily.
  • In summer they need extensive watering and some fertilizing.
  • Cut off old flowers and leaves to keep the plant healthy.

All my 3 bulbs have rooted and two have already produced nice green leaves. Let’s see what kind of flowers it produces. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

older posts in this series

How to choose Plants for summers from bulbs part 1 – Crinum
How to choose Plants for summers part 2 – Caladium
How to choose Plants for summers: part 3 - Canna Lilies

 
posted by RM
Permalink ¤